1 bunch, thin asparagus, cut into 1in. pieces (remove purple/white areas from bottom of asparagus)
1 cup diced, sweet white onion
1 & 1/2 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine (chardonnay)
6 cups chicken broth
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
olive oil to season pan
1. In a large saucepan, boil water. Once water is boiling, blanch asparagus for 3-4 minutes (until bright green).
2. Strain asparagus in sink then run cold water over asparagus to halt cooking (keeps the asparagus bright green). Set asparagus aside. In the same saucepan (without the asparagus), add chicken broth and return to stove, over low heat.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil.
4. Once oil is hot add diced onion. Cook onion until they turn translucent (about 3 minutes). Do not brown onions.
5. Add arborio rice stirring until rice is coated in oil (about 1 minute).
6. Add dry white wine. Stir until wine has been absorbed (you don’t HAVE to add wine, you can skip this step. I just like it for the flavor).
7. Once wine has been absorbed, add a ladle-full of chicken broth to rice. Stir until chicken broth has been absorbed.
8. Continue adding chicken broth one ladle-full at a time until all chicken broth has been absorbed. Stirring constantly (DO NOT let rice stick to bottom of pan, if it starts sticking add more chicken broth).
9. Once all chicken broth has been absorbed, add butter and stir in. Taste rice, if rice is still crunchy, add more chicken broth.
10. Add the asparagus that has been set a side and mix into rice.
11. Add parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.