Wine Name: Silverado Vineyards
Producer: Silverado Vineyards
Region/Appellation: Napa Valley, Ca – Estate Grown
Varietal: Sauvignon Blanc
Alcohol Content: 13.5%
I am on vacation and at the end of our vacation it’s time to start whipping up recipes that use whatever is left in our refrigerator. I found a recipe in a Cooking Light magazine that utilized a lot of the left over veggies that we had and created a nice, light summer dish. The predominant flavor in this dish is lemon so I set out to find a citrus-y sauvignon blanc that would compliment this citrus-y dish. I strolled the wine aisles of the local Harris Teeter for a crisp, dry refreshing sauvignon blanc to pair with dinner. I picked up this Silverado Vineyards because I knew it had a reputation for prducing good wines. Since I would not be able to taste the wine before hand, I also used the winemaker’s tasting notes, which were similar to something I was looking for. This light, off dry white had a crisp acidity and the perfect balance on the palate. The aromas of citrus (lemon), sweet apple (such as fuji), and fresh cut grass paired perfectly with our dinner menu.
Our Dinner Menu:
- Lemony Orzo-Veggie Salad with Chicken
Lemony Orzo-Veggie Salad with Chicken
3/4 cup uncooked orzo
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon honey (if you want less of a lemony taste add 1/2 tsp. honey)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded (cooked) chicken breast
1/2 cup diced English cucumber
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1. Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
2. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain and place in large bowl.
3. While orzo cooks, combine lemon rind and next six ingredients (through black pepper), stirring well with a whisk.
4. Drizzle juice mixture over orzo and toss to coat.
5. Add chicken and next 4 ingredients (through dill) and toss gently to combine.
6. Sprinkle with goat cheese and serve.